Apr 22, 2013 7:54 AM
A fire that started on a deck heavily damaged a Berea home early Monday morning.
Berea Fire Department officials say a couple was using an outdoor fireplace on the deck of their home along Kenway Avenue. The couple went inside to clean up and returned to find the deck on fire. They tried to put the fire out, but failed and called 911. When firefighters arrived, the deck was fully involved. Officials say the fire spread to the house and into the attic before firefighters could put it out.
The home sustained significant fire and smoke damage, but officials said it was not a total loss.
50 minutes ago