Local Coverage

Feb 28, 2013 6:06 AM

Dropped Keychain LeadsTo Hazmat Incident At UK Dorm

A Lexington Fire Department hazmat team was called to a UK dorm after more than a dozen students reported trouble breathing early Thursday morning.

Officials say students in the Kirwan IV dorm began complaining of difficulty breathing and watery eyes around 1 a.m. The dorm was evacuated.

Firefighters say they talked to a student who said she dropped a key chain with mace attached down a stairwell and that released some of the chemical into the air.

Crews aired out the dorm, and students are now back inside.

The people affected by the mace improved once they got some fresh air, and nobody was hospitalized.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4