Updated 1 year ago
University of Kentucky President Eli Capilouto and Student Government President Stephen Bilas on Tuesday announced an expansion of student tailgating areas that will help promote a "safe, responsible and fun time" at this Saturday's game versus the University of Georgia.
The expanded area for students and registered student organizations will be along Cooper Drive between Sports Center Drive and the walkway from the Blue Basketball Courts, near the Johnson Center.
"Our students have, as always, demonstrated important leadership in coming forward, working with student affairs and UK police, to find creative solutions to ensure that everyone can have a fun, but most importantly safe, time while tailgating," Capilouto said.
"Tailgating is a tradition at UK. It's something students cherish, but it's also a responsibility and privilege we have to earn," Bilas said. "We have worked closely with student affairs and our safety officials in a collaborative fashion on a proposal that we believe will help ensure an environment everyone will enjoy and be safe in."
The parameters for student tailgating were announced by Capilouto and Bilas during a joint, campus-wide e-mail distributed Tuesday.
The expanded "Bowl" area -- what students call the tailgating area -- will open at 8 a.m. on game day and will close at one hour after kick-off. That includes the clean-up and removal of tents. No cars, trucks or trailers will be allowed to park in that area.
Also, under the new policy:
• Only registered student organizations will be allowed to reserve tent space in the specified areas and must do so with the Student Center Director, who oversees the allocation of space for events on campus. A full list of the guidelines can be found in the attachment below.
• In that area, only canopies -- or tents without sides -- will be allowed to set up
• Laws concerning alcohol use must be obeyed.
• One band and/or DJ will be allowed to be set up by police in a specified area.
• UK Police will be in the area to monitor events and help provide assistance
Tailgating was temporarily suspended in the "bowl" area following the game against Western Kentucky University in which fights occurred and a police officer was injured. The suspension was lifted two weeks ago as student and safety officials pledged to work together on a long-term solution.