Posted: Sep 1, 2012 6:24 PM by Josh Breslow
Updated: Sep 1, 2012 6:56 PM
Investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a fire that damaged part of an Anderson County strip mall Saturday afternoon.
Crews were called to the scene on Glensboro Road in Lawrenceburg around 3 p.m. for a report of smoke inside one of the stores.
When firefighters arrived, they said it took them a few minutes to figure out the smoke was coming from The Variety Store, an outlet shop in the center of the strip mall. Once the store's door was opened, crews said they were met with heavy smoke and flames.
Much of the merchandise inside The Variety Store was damaged. The building suffered heavy fire, smoke, and water damage.
The owner of The Variety Store did not want to talk on camera, but she told LEX 18 that she had just moved into the building about six months ago.
While the fire was contained to The Variety Store, smoke managed to work its way into just about all of the stores in the strip mall. The extent of the damage to the other shops is unclear.
The strip mall was evacuated. No one was hurt.