Jan 30, 2014 5:53 PM

Lexington Family Of 6 Loses Home In Fire

A Lexington family of six woke up to a nightmare Thursday morning as their home was being consumed by flames.

It happened just before 7 a.m. at a home on Winthrop Drive.

Fire officials said the parents and four young children got out safely. Fire officials said the home was a total loss.

A neighbor said she opened her garage door and saw the neighborhood filled with smoke. She called 911 and went to see where it was coming from.

"I walked around the neighbor's house there's a large billow of smoke, no flames. So I walked back around to make sure my kids were okay, and when I walked back around while on the phone, the flames started shooting out of the roof," said Melissa Jones.

Fire investigators say the fire started from a wood burning stove that was either improperly installed or had a design issue. The fire ravelled up the fireplace burning two floors and the attic. The house was a complete loss.

There were no reported injuries.

A fund has been set up for the family. You can see the list of items they need and how you can donate, here.


»Topics in this article

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4