Posted: Oct 19, 2012 6:24 AM
Updated: Oct 19, 2012 8:57 AM
Nearly a dozen people escaped from a burning Rowan County home Thursday night.
Firefighters say flames were shooting from the windows of the house on US-60 East outside of Morehead when they arrived around 10:30 p.m. Investigators say somebody lit a fire in a fireplace on the first floor, but left an access panel to the chimney in the basement open, allowing flames to spread into the home.
"The fire had wrapped around the corner here all the way to the basement, first floor, then the second floor. So, we had heavy fire on three levels," Morehead Fire Department chief Jeff Anderson said.
The owner, along with his guests, all made it safely out.
It took firefighters several hours to put out the fire.
Officials say the home was a total loss. The owner says he plans to stay in a camper for the time being.