Fire

Apr 3, 2013 5:57 PM

Fire Destroys Madison County Mobile Home

The home of a Madison County man who ran for State Representative in 2012 went up in flames Wednesday. The fire broke out around 11:45 am in the 10620 block of U.S. 421 near the Jackson County line.

A picture taken by firefighters with the Red Lick Volunteer Fire Dept. shows flames consuming Buddy Montgomery's mobile home. The businessman is involved in politics and ran for 36th District State Representative as a Democrat last fall. He lost that election to Republican Jonathan Shell, but now Montgomery is dealing with a different kind of loss, the loss of all his belongings. But Montgomery's sister, Buffey Robinson says he is counting his blessings that neither he nor his 12-year-old daughter were home at the time of the blaze. The girl is on vacation with her grandparents. The family dog escaped unharmed.

A State Police arson investigator was on scene for much of the day, but Madison County Fire Chief Jim Cox says it appears the fire is not suspicious. Cox says it appears to have started in the living room of the home and may have sparked from the wood burning stove.

"He's in tears right now," says Buffey Robinson as she describes her brother's mixed emotions. "But the one thing that's really bringing him to tears is the fact that he's lost everything, but that his daughter wasn't home. That was the first thing he said to me was 'thank God Brianne wasn't home."

»Comments

More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4