Posted: Sep 15, 2012 10:31 PM by Josh Breslow
Updated: Sep 15, 2012 11:52 PM
A fire that broke out Saturday afternoon destroyed more than just a Pulaski County barn. It ruined a family's livelihood.
Crews responded to the scene on Smith Vaught Road in the Pulaski community around 1 p.m. At that point, the structure was already a total loss.
"By the time we got here, it was already in flames. I mean, the whole roof was gone," said Darla Denham, the owner of the barn.
Some of the flames were still showing hours later. Smoke, still pouring from the remains of Denham's barn. Inside was a tractor, a hay roller, and more than 500 rolls of hay. That's a year's worth of feed for Denham's 150 to 200 cattle.
"Had a really good season. Got everything up. Nothing got wet. And then, all of a sudden, it's gone," Denham said.
Denham is the owner of Triple-D Country Meats in Eubank. The cattle and the hay are how she and her family make a living.
While firefighter tried to save what was inside the barn, by the time they made it to the scene, there was little they could do.
"It was just one of those things, I guess," said Denham. "It could've been something with the tractor. We don't know. We put it in last night after they'd been working in the hay."
Neighbors told LEX 18, they heard an explosion from that barn around the time of the fire.
"This is something that's replaceable and we know that and we're thankful for that. It's still gonna be a hard job. A lot of time to replace it," Denham said.
Investigators have not determined what sparked the fire. No one was hurt.