Posted: Sep 12, 2012 5:25 AM
Updated: Sep 12, 2012 9:18 AM
Firefighters helped several people out of a burning apartment building in Lexington early Wednesday morning.
The fire broke out around 3:30 a.m.in an apartment building on Devonport Drive. Firefighters helped seven people down from the top floor and also evacuated several people out of first story apartments. One of the woman described the climb down the ladder as "scary" and said she was considering jumping from the balcony at one point, until she looked down and realized how high she was.
Firefighters say they had to wake several people up in smoky apartments to get them safely out.
EMS treated numerous people for smoke inhalation at the scene.
At least two dozen people were displaced by the fire. The Red Cross came out to assist residents needing a temporary place to stay. Officials say 10 adults and three children were placed in motels.
The fire caused extensive smoke damage in the building, but none of the apartments are considered a total loss.
Fire officials say a candle in a second floor apartment sparked the blaze.