Oct 3, 2012 1:10 PM
World-class racing, exciting wagering options, an expanded social media presence and a special events calendar that promises something fun for everyone highlight Keeneland's 17-day fall race meet, which opens Friday, October 5.
Keeneland features racing on Wednesday through Sunday with the final day of the fall season on Saturday, October 27. Post time for the first race each day is 1:05 p.m. (ET).
Many of the nation's most talented Thoroughbreds, trainers and jockeys will compete at Keeneland this fall in preparation for the Breeders' Cup World Championships and bids for divisional honors.
The fall meet features 17 stakes with purse money totaling $4.5 million. Keeneland opens with its signature Fall Stars Weekend (October 5-7), highlighted by nine graded stakes worth more than $3 million. Seven Fall Stars stakes are Breeders' Cup Challenge races in which the winners automatically qualify for the Breeders' Cup World Championships to be held November 2-3 at Santa Anita Park.
The purse for the Grade 1 Shadwell Turf Mile, held Saturday, October 6, has been increased this fall to $750,000, ranking it alongside the spring meet's $750,000 Toyota Blue Grass (G1) as Keeneland's most valuable race in terms of prize money.
The Shadwell Turf Mile is one of six Grade 1 stakes held at Keeneland this fall, the others being the Darley Alcibiades, Dixiana Breeders' Futurity, First Lady, Juddmonte Spinster and Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup.
Fans can follow all the racing action via free live streaming at Keeneland's newly redesigned website, www.keeneland.com, and on TVG Network, which offered expanded daily coverage of the fall meet.
Handicappers will find plenty of action to challenge their skills during the fall season. Keeneland will introduce $1 win, place and show bets in addition to its 50-cent Pick Three, 50-cent Pick Four, 50-cent Pick Five, 50-cent Trifecta and 10-cent Superfecta.
Other wagering opportunities available this fall are:
• The Friday Pick 4 presented by TVG, with a guaranteed pool of $200,000, is offered on the first three Fridays of the meet.
• The $250,000 All Stakes Pick 4 presented by TVG, on Saturday, October 6, challenges patrons to handicap the day's biggest races.
• The Keeneland Handicapping Contest is offered each Wednesday of the meet. Entrants receive a free Daily Racing Form and play for a guaranteed $2,500 pool.
• KeenelandSelect.com is an advance deposit wagering (ADW) site that allows fans to wager on Keeneland's races. Keeneland Select commits profits to player rewards, race purses and equine research.
Keeneland fans can turn to several resources for help with handicapping and wagering questions, expert selections and statistical information.
Jeremy Plonk and Joe Kristufek will once again host live chats on Keeneland.com each race day, giving selections and answering questions. Keeneland.com also offers a wealth of free handicapping information that will appeal to novice and experienced fans alike. Fans on Twitter can get real-time selections with @keenelandracing.
Keeneland's Wagering Central, located on the first floor grandstand, has been expanded this fall to serve as a wagering information and social media hub. Wagering Central staff can answer basic betting questions, provide free daily selections, and register fans for Keeneland's FastBet card or a Keeneland Select account. A new social media display will feature the @keenelandracing Twitter feed and Instagram photos submitted by fans.
Representatives from America's Best Racing, The Jockey Club's multi-media new fan development program, will be in the North Terrace during Fall Stars Weekend and on College Scholarship Day, October 12, to host their Racing 101 initiative.
Also new for the fall meet, mobile wagering clerks will be available on Fridays and Saturdays in the tailgating and Louisville parking lots.
Keeneland Fans Stay Connected through Social Media
Keeneland continues to expand its social media presence to enhance the fan experience.
This fall, Keeneland will celebrate many "Fall Stars" throughout the month, highlighting a different Fall Stars experience each week. Fans are encouraged to use the #FallStars hashtag to stay on top of all the action.
Keeneland will also offer a Keeneland #FallStars Instagram Contest. To enter, simply take a photo that you feel embodies the essence of Keeneland, post to your public Instagram account, and tag with #FallStars to enter.
Fans can follow Keeneland on Facebook at www.facebook.com/keeneland and on Twitter @keeneland for news about special events going on around the track and @keenelandracing for the latest racing updates. Keeneland's YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/keenelandfan is another source for pre-race coverage, jockey interviews, morning works and stakes recaps. Check out the social media display at Wagering Central for the @keenelandracing Twitter feed and Instagram contest photos.
In keeping with the Fall Stars theme, Keeneland is hosting a Fan of the Week contest in which one "Fall Star" will be chosen each week. Fans are encouraged to nominate someone whose love of Keeneland runs deep. In return, Keeneland will share the weekly winner's story on Facebook and award him or her with a gift basket. One grand prize winner will be selected to receive a table for four to the 2013 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1). The person who nominates a winner will also earn a Keeneland gift.
2012 Fall Meet Special Events
In keeping with the "Fall Stars" theme throughout the meet, Keeneland will spotlight a new star each week.
October 5-7 - Fall Stars Weekend - The Racing is the Star
October 10-13 - The Community is the Star
• Make-A-Wish Day (October 10) - Local Thoroughbred farms team up with Keeneland to grant wishes for nine deserving children. The children and their families are treated to a VIP day of racing. Come out to Keeneland to support the Make-A-Wish foundation and cheer on these children as they present the trophies for all nine races.
• College Scholarship Day (October 12) - Full-time college students receive free general admission and the chance to win one of ten $1,000 scholarships awarded after each race. Registration will take place in Keeneland's College Zone in the North Terrace, which features music, free snacks and prize drawings. The first 1,000 students to register for a scholarship receive a Keeneland College Scholarship Day t-shirt courtesy of Kennedy Book Store and a hat from Vineyard Vines.
• Bucky Sallee Salute (October 13) - Come out and celebrate one of the community's most beloved and iconic figures, Keeneland bugler Bucky Sallee. Bucky will be on hand to sign a specially designed program and other memorabilia before the races, and take pictures with fans in the paddock area.
October 14-21 - Athletes and the Military are the Stars
• Keeneland Salutes Two Track Stars (October 14) - Help us give Olympic track star Tyson Gay a warm central Kentucky homecoming with a salute to his great accomplishments. Also on the same day, we will salute another great track star - 2011 Kentucky Oaks (G1) winner Plum Pretty.
• Jockey Autograph Session (October 18) - Fans can meet retired and current jockeys during an autograph signing adjacent to the Paddock. Proceeds benefit the Permanently Disabled Jockey's Fund
• See Blue Day (October 19) - Kick off the University of Kentucky's football homecoming weekend at Keeneland. Free general admission for UK students, alumni and faculty; activities for all Wildcat fans! Enjoy fan fun on the North Terrace from Noon-3 p.m. with special UK alumni autograph signings, UK cheerleaders and more.
• Military Family Day (October 21) - All active and inactive members of the military and their families receive free general admission with a military ID at any pass gate. The North Terrace will be transformed into the Military Family Zone with free food and activities.
October 24-Oct. 27 - Fans and Fashion are the Stars
• Fan Appreciation Day (October 26)-Fans will be treated to a free serving of bread pudding in Keeneland's North Terrace
• Fashions on the Field (October 27) - Stylish patrons are encouraged to enter Keeneland's inaugural Fashions on the Field event. Patrons can have some fun and strut their stuff in their race-day outfits before a panel of celebrity judges. The competition will begin in a heat format with a final competition to name the top dressed male and female.
In addition to these great events, fans can experience the sights and sounds of Keeneland even before the gates open for the race day at Sunrise Trackside every Saturday during the meet. It's a morning filled with hours of activities tailor-made for family or out-of-town guests, featuring Breakfast with the Works, Kids Club activities, tours of the racetrack, pictures taken with Bucky the Bugler, handicapping seminars, jockey Q&A, and more!
On Fridays, the fun doesn't end with the last race. Start the weekend with live music and simulcast racing during Happy Hour in the Paddock.
Keeneland 2012 Fall Meeting at a Glance
Dates: October 5-27. No racing on Mondays and Tuesdays.
First race: 1:05 p.m. (ET) Gates open at 11 a.m.
Admission: $5. Children 12 and under free.
Parking: Free (shuttles available from many lots); Preferred parking ($5 on Wednesdays and Thursdays; $10 on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays)
Tailgating: Enter Keeneland Gate 1 entrance across from Man o' War Boulevard.
Simulcasting: Major Thoroughbred tracks in the U.S.
3 minutes ago