Apr 15, 2014 6:11 PM
One year ago on April 15, two pressure cooker bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three people and injuring at least 264 others. Now, the city is preparing for this year's marathon and ramping up security.
Meanwhile, Kentuckians are gearing up for the 2014 Boston Marathon back here at home, including a runner who was there last year and is ready to do it again.
For the third time in 2013 - and in less than three hours - UK's Associate Dean at the College for Pharmacy, Frank Romanelli, crossed the finish line to the holy grail of races - the Boston Marathon. But it was shortly after his feelings of triumph and accomplishment, turned to disgust.
"The bombs went off and I've never seen a place go from completely hectic and crazy to completely shutdown. It was like a ghost town," said Romanelli.
Frank Romanelli says it wasn't until he turned on his TV that he realized what was happening. But even through it and after the commotion, he knew one thing was for sure.
"From the minute it ended, everyone last year was talking about, 'you have to come back next year. We are coming back next year. What will it be like next year?'," he said.
Not only is he coming back, but organizers are expecting more than two million spectators, which is double from last. Romanelli says he's not nervous for his safety, but says either way, it will be an emotional race.
"For anyone who is running or whoever has run and put a bib on, has always had Boston in the back of their head, so for them to attack that race it's become very personal, I think, for a lot of runners," he said.
A personal attack he plans to fight back by lacing up for race 2014.
3 hours ago