Posted: Mar 14, 2013 4:50 AM
Updated: Mar 14, 2013 7:25 AM
A Jessamine County man battled a fire in his home with a garden hose until firefighters arrived Wednesday night.
Maurice Mercier says he heard a smoke detector go off inside his home on Bramlett Road around 11:30 p.m. and found flames shooting from the ceiling near a wood-burning stove. He got his wife, seven dogs and a bird out, and then went to work.
"Cleared the house, went to the barn and got the hose, and started using the hose to kinda contain the fire," he said.
Firefighters said his efforts helped contain the blaze until they arrived.
"He had a water hose on it and was spraying water from outside. We still had quite a bit of fire when we got here that was up in the soffit and in the attic area, but he kept it kinda under control until we got here," Jessamine County Fire Department Chief Michael Rupard said.
The fire did some damage in the attic, but the family will be able to remain in the house despite the damage.