Mar 29, 2013 8:08 AM
Fire destroyed a home in Mercer County early Friday morning.
The fire broke out around 5 a.m. inside a home in the Bushtown community, about 15 miles west of Harrodsburg. Firefighters say a woman got out of the house, but several animals died in the fire. When crews arrived, the home was already engulfed in flames. Only one wall remains standing.
Officials say an extension cord leading outside to a dog cage might have sparked the blaze. The cord powered heat lamps to keep the animals warm.
The Red Cross and family members are helping the woman.
An investigation into the fire continues.
4 hours ago