Updated 1 year ago
Two Lexington-area football players were nominated today for the 2012 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team® -- the most prestigious off-the-field honor in college football. University of Kentucky quarterback, Morgan Newton, and Franklin Co. HS grad and Centre College offensive lineman , Oakley Watkins, were both nominated for this award.
Through the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team®, Allstate and the AFCA recognize the community service contributions of college football players.
Morgan Newton boasts an impressive resume of community service accomplishments, which include:
- Reading to children as part of the Read Across America program
- Packing furniture and assisting with moving efforts for flood victims in Pikeville, KY
- Speaking out against bullying at local elementary schools
Oakley Watkins boasts an impressive resume of community service accomplishments, which include:
- Accumulating more than 3,000 hours of community service in Frankfort, Ky.
- Coordinating various philanthropy events to benefit children with disabilities
- Speaking annually to eighth graders at Elkhorn Middle School about their transition to high school
From the 117 nominees, a prominent selection panel will select two 11-player Good Works Teams that will be announced in late September - one for the Football Bowl Subdivision (Div. I-A) and the other for the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision, Divisions II, III and NAIA.
Past members of the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team® include Super Bowl champion quarterbacks, Peyton and Eli Manning, ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer and 2011 Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III.