Local Coverage

Dec 24, 2012 5:00 AM

Neighbor Helps Man From Smoky Apartment

A neighbor got a man out of an apartment after the resident fell asleep with food inside an oven early Monday morning.

Bruce Mitchell says he heard a smoke detector sounding in another unit at the Stoney Brooke Apartments on Mt. Tabor Road around 12:30 a.m. He peeked inside the window to see what was going on, saw smoke and spotted a man unconscious on a recliner. Mitchell called 911, and then kicked down the door to get the man out.

"It's Christmas. We're a real tight unit. That's what we do is try to look out for each other. So we got him out," Mitchell said.

EMS checked out the victim at the scene for smoke inhalation. He's expected to be OK.

Firefighters say burning food in the oven caused the smoke.

  • Story Photo
  • Story Thumbnail

»Comments

More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4