Dec 7, 2012 9:02 AM
Kentucky State Police in London say they have received a report of a scam targeting victims claiming they have won a large money prize.
In the latest incident, a scammer claimed the targeted individual had won the Publishers Clearing House prize award, and requested the victim send money via PayPal to pay taxes and fees on the prize money. The victim sent the requested funds and did not win or receive any prize.
Police offer these tips:
- If you have legitimately won a cash prize taxes and fees are taken from the prize award and to never send money upfront.
- Never send money, via PayPal, Western Union or any other money transfer service to receive a prize of any kind.
- Never give personal information out over the phone unless you have made the call and know who you are speaking to.
- Immediately, call or visit your bank to report suspicious activity that concerns you.
- If you are a victim of this type of scam contact a law enforcement agency.
- Most importantly, remember that scams and frauds increase during the holiday season.
7 hours ago