Dec 31, 2012 6:33 PM by Mary Jo Perino
After much debate and discussion, LEX 18 Sports came up with it's list of the top ten stories of 2012.
These are the stories that got us talking in central Kentucky over the past 12 months.
10. Sean Woods returns to Kentucky as the head coach at Morehead State. He then returns to Rupp Arena and has a meltdown. Woods got in to a verbal altercation with one of his players that led to a one game suspension.
9. Long-suffering Cincinnati fans had a good year. Both the Reds and the Bengals made the playoffs. Things didn't work out too well for the Reds, but the Bengals are still alive.
8. The UK baseball team spent time ranked #1 on their way to a school record 45 wins. They're season ended in the NCAA tournament in a 21-inning game.
7. John Calipari reloaded with another number one recruiting class that includes the Harrison twins. He's not even done yet for 2013.
6. Former Wildcat Randall Cobb had a breakout season with the Green Bay Packers. In his second year, he broke the franchise record for all-purpose yards and became one of Aaron Rodgers' favorite targets.
5. A record six Cats were picked in the NBA draft, including numbers one and two in Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Davis also became the first Kentucky player to win the national player of the year award.
4. The UK women had their best season in school history, which included winning the SEC tournament for the first time in 30 years. They made it all the way to the Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament.
3. I'll Have Another wins the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness, but was scratched the day before the Belmont. It was a blow to horse racing as the Triple Crown was eluded once again.
2. Joker Phillips was fired as the head football coach at Kentucky after winning only two games. The Cats lost at home to Western Kentucky and then most of them failed to return to Commonwealth Stadium for some of the lowest attendance numbers ever. Mitch Barnhart then went out and hired Florida State defensive coordinator Mark Stoops, who has assembled a great staff at UK, including bringing back Neal Brown as the offensive coordinator. Stoops' hiring re-energized the fan base.
1. How could it be anything else? The Cats won the national championship in basketball in April, beating Louisville and Kansas in the Final Four. It was the eighth national title for UK and the first ever for John Calipari. Cutting down the nets in New Orleans is definitely the top sports story of 2012.