Nov 13, 2013 12:07 AM by UK Athletics
Kentucky Basketball Postgame Notes
#2 Michigan State 78, #1 Kentucky 74
Nov. 12, 2013
United Center - Chicago
Team Records, Notes
· Kentucky's record is now 2-1, while Michigan State is 2-0.
· Kentucky leads the series 12-11, with Michigan State leading 3-2 in neutral sites. Michigan State has won seven of the last 11 meetings.
· The game featured the earliest matchup between teams' ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the Associated Press' history of the poll.
· Kentucky returns to action at home on Sunday, Nov. 17 vs. Robert Morris. Tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET and will air live on CSS.
· Kentucky started with the lineup of sophomore Willie Cauley-Stein and freshmen Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Julius Randle and James Young for the third-straight game. That lineup is 2-1 on the year.
· Four freshmen have now started in 138 total games in the history of the program, with 99 of those coming under the direction of John Calipari.
· Freshman Dakari Johnson was UK's first sub off the bench. It is the first time of the season he has checked into the game first.
· Michigan State opened the game on a 10-0 run before Young sunk a 3-pointer with 15:16 on the clock.
· With Young's 3-pointer as UK's first score, the Wildcats have now hit at least one from long range in 863 consecutive games. That streak is the third-longest in the nation.
· The Spartans went into halftime ahead 44-32. It marked the first halftime deficit of the season for the Cats.
· Kentucky opened the second half on an 8-2 run behind six quick points by Randle to pull to within six at 46-40 with 17:47 remaining. Michigan State responded with four in a row to stretch the lead back to 10 at 50-40 in less than a minute.
· Behind the play of Randle's 15 second-half points to that point and a 13-1 Wildcat run, the Blue and White pulled to within one at 60-59 with 8:03 with a runner from Andrew Harrison.
· The first tie of the game since 0-0 came after Randle sunk two free throws with 3:14 remaining at 66, but Michigan State quickly scored five-straight to retake the lead.
· Julius Randle scored 27 points and logged 13 rebounds.
o He has reached the 20-point, 10-rebound plateau in every game this season.
o Randle is the first UK player to have three-consecutive games with double-doubles since Nerlens Noel in Feb. 2013.
o Attempted 15 free throws and has notched 10 or more in every game this season.
o 27 points is a career high for Randle.
· James Young has connected on at least one 3-pointer in each of UK's first three games.
o Scored a season and career-high 19 points.
· Andrew Harrison has dished out at least two assists in all three contests this season.
o With 11 points, Harrison has scored double figures in back-to-back games.
· Alex Poythress swatted away a career-high three blocks and added a career-high 12 rebounds. It is the second double-figure rebounding effort of the year for Poythress.
o UK is 3-1 when Poythress has 10 or more boards including 1-1 this season.
3 hours ago