Quantcast

Madison Co. Child Dies After Ingesting Cinnamon - LEX18.com | Continuous News and StormTracker Weather

Madison Co. Child Dies After Ingesting Cinnamon

Posted: Updated:

The parents of a Madison County child are now planning a funeral after they say he accidentally swallowed Cinnamon powder.

Brianna Radar says her four year old son, Matthew, was a climber. Wednesday morning he explored the kitchen at her Richmond apartment. While exploring, he got his hands on powdered cinnamon and began putting in his mouth.

What followed next, the coroner says, was a tragic accident.

"He started choking, it was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed," says his mother.

Matthew was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead an hour and a half later. The coroner says cinnamon can cause asphyxiation when inhaled.

Teens and adults have participated in an online trend called "The Cinnamon Challenge," in which they attempt to eat large amounts of the powder. Matthew's mother want his death, although not related to the Cinnamon Challenge, to serve as a warning for others.

"To let people know cinnamon can kill. All these kids to the cinnamon challenge. They don't think about the fact it can hurt them," she says.

Matthew's organs were donated to hopefully save other lives. 

WEATHER
MaxTrack Doppler
Powered by Frankly

© LEX18.com 2017, LEX18.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?