RICHMOND, Ky. – Eastern Kentucky University’s football team goes on the road to face No. 3 ranked Jacksonville State University on Saturday.
Kickoff at Burgess-Snow Field in Jacksonville, Alabama is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET. The game will air live on ESPN3. ESPN3 is ESPN's live multi-screen sports network, a destination that delivers thousands of exclusive sports events annually. It is accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app and streamed on televisions through Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
The live radio broadcast of the game is available in the Richmond area on WCYO 100.7 FM, and can be heard worldwide on EKUSports.com.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Jacksonville State leads the series 8-6 and has won four straight. EKU is 3-4 against the Gamecocks in games played in Jacksonville.
- In all six wins against Jacksonville State, Eastern has scored 31 or more points, including three games scoring 49-52 points.
- JSU won 24-7 in Richmond last season. The EKU defense held the Jax State offense without a touchdown in a game for the first time since 2012. The Gamecocks entered the game 15th in the nation in total offense, but were held 106 yards below their average.
- After falling to Tennessee State this past weekend, EKU dropped to 1-4 overall and 1-2 in Ohio Valley Conference play.
- The Colonels overcame a 17-0 deficit to take a 21-17 lead over Tennessee State in the fourth quarter, but the Tigers returned three interceptions for touchdowns on their way to a 28-point fourth quarter.
- Keith Wrzuszczak is first in the OVC and fifth in FCS with an average of 45.2 yards per punt. Eastern Kentucky leads the nation in net punting (43.22 ypp).
- EKU entered its game at Southeast Missouri having forced twice as many turnovers as it had committed (6 to 3). However, in their last two games the Colonels have given the ball away eight times and forced just one turnover and are now -4 for the season.
- For the first time this Eastern eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark as a team against Tennessee State (Oct. 7), finishing with 124 yards on 32 carries for a respectable 3.9 yards per carry. EKU’s previous best was 83 yards against Tennessee Tech (Sept. 23).
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
- With wins over then 12th ranked Chattanooga and No. 16 Liberty, and two OVC victories, the Gamecocks (4-1, 2-0 OVC) have climbed to No. 3 in the nation. JSU’s lone loss was a 37-10 setback at FBS Georgia Tech.
- In two OVC games, Jacksonville State has allowed just 21 points combined.
- JSU leads the conference in scoring (27.2 ppg). The Gamecocks are second in the league and 12th in the nation with just 16.2 points allowed per game.
- The Jax State offense average an OVC-best 371 yards per game, including 207 yards per game on the ground. The defense is 12th nationally with 279 yards allowed per game and 27th with 7.2 tackles for a loss per game.
- The Gamecocks have turned the ball over four more times than their opponents.
DOWN THE ROAD
- The Colonels will host Tennessee-Martin for Homecoming on Oct. 21 at Roy Kidd Stadium.
Can't find something?