Quantcast

LAPD Would Like To Speak With Robert Wagner - LEX18.com | Continuous News and StormTracker Weather

LAPD Would Like To Speak With Robert Wagner

Posted: Updated:

LOS ANGELES (AP/CNN) — In a Monday press conference, LAPD officials say they would like to speak with Robert Wagner about the death of Natalie Wood.

 Lt. John Corina, of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's homicide bureau, said that the details Wagner has offered up on that fateful night "really don't add up to what we've found.

New witnesses emerged in the 1981 drowning of Wood, prompting investigators to deem it a "suspicious death" and name her former husband, 87-year-old actor Robert Wagner, a "person of interest."

Corina added that Wagner is not obligated by law to speak with investigators, but said "we're closer to understanding what happened, I think."

For nearly four decades, mystery and speculation have swirled around the death of the actress who was nominated for three Academy Awards and starred in "West Side Story" and "Rebel Without a Cause."

She was on a yacht with Wagner, actor Christopher Walken and the boat captain on Thanksgiving weekend of 1981. After a night of drinking, her body was found floating in the waters off Southern California's Catalina Island. She was 43.

Investigators initially ruled it an accident but reopened the case in 2011 to see whether Wagner or anyone else played a role after the boat's captain said he heard the couple arguing the night of her disappearance. The coroner's office amended Wood's death certificate the next year to include "drowning and other undetermined factors."

In a statement Thursday, sheriff's spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said new witnesses interviewed since the case was reopened gave statements that "portray a new sequence of events on the boat that night."

One of the witnesses described hearing yelling and crashing sounds coming from the couple's stateroom, she said. Shortly after that, separate witnesses heard a man and woman arguing on the back of the boat and believe the voices were those of Wood and Wagner, Nishida said.

The statements differed from the original version of events provided by witnesses, including those who were on the boat, she said.

The sheriff's department said Wagner is considered a person of interest.

"Do we have enough to make an arrest at this moment? No," Nishida said.

The police statement was issued after CBS News aired an interview with Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. John Corina, who said he doesn't believe Wagner has told the whole story about what happened.

Investigators have said Wagner has not been interviewed since the probe was reopened. They said in 2013 that they had tried at least 10 times to interview him but he refused.

Wagner has denied any involvement in his wife's death and no charges have been filed. His publicist, Alan Nierob, declined to comment Thursday.

Conflicting versions of what happened on the yacht have contributed to the mystery of her death. Wood, Wagner and Walken had all been drinking heavily in the hours before the actress disappeared.

Wagner wrote in a 2008 memoir that he and Walken argued that night. He wrote that Walken went to bed and he stayed up for a while, but when he went to bed, he noticed that his wife and a dinghy that had been attached to the yacht were missing.

___

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Clay County Student Reportedly In Custody After Making Threats

    Clay County Student Reportedly In Custody After Making Threats

    Sunday, February 18 2018 4:24 PM EST2018-02-18 21:24:01 GMT
    MGNMGN
    CLAY COUNTY, Ky. (Manchester Enterprise) - A Clay County middle school student is reportedly in custody after making threats. The Manchester Enterprise is reporting that the child wrote a post on Facebook threatening violence. They say the threat was acted upon quickly by the school board and law enforcement. The superintendent tells the newspaper that authorities took the student into custody and he's being held in the Breathitt Juvenile Facility.
    CLAY COUNTY, Ky. (Manchester Enterprise) - A Clay County middle school student is reportedly in custody after making threats. The Manchester Enterprise is reporting that the child wrote a post on Facebook threatening violence. They say the threat was acted upon quickly by the school board and law enforcement. The superintendent tells the newspaper that authorities took the student into custody and he's being held in the Breathitt Juvenile Facility.
  • Teen Arrested For Allegedly Making Threat Towards Whitley Co. Schools

    Teen Arrested For Allegedly Making Threat Towards Whitley Co. Schools

    Sunday, February 18 2018 11:35 PM EST2018-02-19 04:35:32 GMT

    WHITLEY COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) - The Whitley County Sheriff is reported a 17-year-old has been taken into custody after allegedly making a threat towards the Whitley County School District. Sheriff Colan Harrell says the teen is accused threatening violence, but didn't specify how. The Sheriff says he and his deputies assigned as school resource officers plan to meet with school leaders tomorrow to discuss the incident and how to further improve student safety. Law enforcement offici...

    WHITLEY COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) - The Whitley County Sheriff is reported a 17-year-old has been taken into custody after allegedly making a threat towards the Whitley County School District. Sheriff Colan Harrell says the teen is accused threatening violence, but didn't specify how. The Sheriff says he and his deputies assigned as school resource officers plan to meet with school leaders tomorrow to discuss the incident and how to further improve student safety. Law enforcement offici...

  • Corbin Police Arrest Suspect In Double Homicide

    Corbin Police Arrest Suspect In Double Homicide

    Monday, February 19 2018 12:54 AM EST2018-02-19 05:54:55 GMT

    WHITLEY COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) - Corbin Police confirm they have made an arrest in the double homicide investigation. Reportedly Paul Brock, 37, of Corbin was taken into custody without incident at his home on Sunday evening.  Police say a pregnant woman and her grandmother were found dead in a home on Ellison Street in Corbin Saturday night. The victims were later identified as Tiffany Meyers, 33, and Mary Jackson, 74. Corbin Police say a witness saw Brock's veh...

    WHITLEY COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) - Corbin Police confirm they have made an arrest in the double homicide investigation. Reportedly Paul Brock, 37, of Corbin was taken into custody without incident at his home on Sunday evening.  Police say a pregnant woman and her grandmother were found dead in a home on Ellison Street in Corbin Saturday night. The victims were later identified as Tiffany Meyers, 33, and Mary Jackson, 74. Corbin Police say a witness saw Brock's veh...

Powered by Frankly

© LEX18.com 2018, LEX18.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?