UK MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
OLE MISS AT KENTUCKY
RUPP ARENA | LEXINGTON, KY.
FEB. 28, 2018
Final Score: #23/25 Kentucky 96, Ole Miss 78
Team Records and Series Notes
· Kentucky won its fourth game in a row and is 21-9 overall, 10-7 in the Southeastern Conference. Ole Miss is 12-18 overall, 5-12 in league play.
· Kentucky leads the series 106-13 and has won nine in a row against the Rebels.
o UK leads 54-2 in games played in Lexington.
· Next for the Wildcats: Kentucky completes the regular season Saturday at Florida. Game time is noon and it will be televised on CBS.
In the First Half
· Kentucky’s starting lineup featured Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Hamidou Diallo, Wenyen Gabriel, Kevin Knox and Nick Richards for the sixth time this season. UK is 5-1 with this lineup.
· Kentucky extended its streak of 1,043 consecutive games with a 3-pointer when Gabriel connected with 17:48 on the clock.
· Ahead 31-30, Kentucky went on a 9-0 run for a 40-30 lead.
· UK went to halftime ahead 50-42.
o It was UK’s most first-half points since 54 vs. Monmouth on Dec. 9.
o Knox led the team with 13 points, it was a team-best 11th time this season he’s scored double figures in the first half.
o Gabriel had 12 points, the most he’s had in a half this season.
o Gilgeous-Alexander had 11 points, marking the fifth time this season he’s had double figures in the first half, and the first time since the Vanderbilt game on Jan. 13.
· UK is 14-3 this season when leading at halftime.
In the Second Half
· Ole Miss came out hot with a trio of 3-pointers, cutting the UK lead to 59-57.
· At that point, the teams traded runs, UK 8-0 and Ole Miss 7-0.
· Ahead 75-69, UK put the game away with a 10-0 spurt to make it 85-69 and the Rebels never seriously threatened again.
· Kentucky has scored its highest point total in SEC play in the last three games – 87 at Arkansas, 87 vs. Missouri, 96 vs. Ole Miss.
o UK has made at least eight 3-pointers in each of those games.
· UK has scored at least 80 points in every game of the current four-game winning streak.
o It’s the first time UK tallied at least 80 in four straight games since it was done eight games in a row last season.
· UK posted 19 assists tonight, most in an SEC game this season and three shy of the season high.
· Five Wildcats scored in double figures for the fourth game in a row.
o That’s the first time that’s happened since UK did it five straight times during the 2016-17 season vs. Duquesne, Cleveland, UT Martin, Arizona State and UCLA.
· UK had four players score at least 15 points tonight, first time that has happened since the win over Texas A&M on Jan. 9.
· Kentucky shot 50 percent from the field and is 13-0 this season when shooting at least 46.4 percent from the field.
o UK is 9-0 this season when making at least half its shots.
· UK got to the foul line 35 times tonight and made 26.
o During the current four-game win streak, UK is shooting 76.6 from the foul line.
· UK won the rebounding 43-35. UK is 19-4 this season when outrebounding the opponent.
· Kentucky finished the home schedule with a 16-2 record (.889).
o UK is now 577-68 (.895) all-time in Rupp Arena.
o Tonight marked Coach John Calipari’s 150th win in Rupp (150-8, .949)
o Calipari has five seasons with zero home losses at UK and four seasons with two home defeats.
· UK is 228-5 under Coach John Calipari when the Wildcats lead by at least 10 points during the game.
· Kevin Knox led the Wildcats with 22 points, his third straight 20-point game and ninth of the season.
· It is his first time as a Wildcat to have three straight 20-point games.
· It is his seventh straight game in double figures.
· Jarred Vanderbilt had five points and led the Cats in rebounds with 11.
· He is averaging 9.5 points and 11 rebounds per game during UK’s current four-game win streak.
· With 104 rebounds in 221 minutes this season, he continues his amazing ratio of one rebound per 2.1 minutes played.
· Shai Gilgeous-Alexander had 17 points, a career-high 10 rebounds, tied his career best for rebounds with seven, and had a career-best three blocked shots.
· It is the first double-double of his career.
· After notching eight assists vs. Missouri, he is the first Wildcat with eight assists in consecutive games since De’Aaron Fox last season vs. UT Martin and UCLA.
· Quade Green netted 18 points, his second-highest point total of the season. He had 21 vs. East Tennessee on Nov. 17.
· He is averaging 13.5 points during the current four-game win streak and canned two 3-pointers in all four games.
· He has scored double figures in four straight games, marking the second time this season he has done that.
· PJ Washington scored 10 points, his fifth straight game in double figures, all off the bench.
· He added five rebounds, the sixth straight game he has garnered at least five caroms.
· Wenyen Gabriel had 15 points, one shy of his season high, and his first double-figure game since Jan. 20 vs. Florida. He added six rebounds and two assists.
Coach John Calipari
· Calipari has a 715-202 all-time on-court record.
· Calipari is now 270-62 at Kentucky.
· Calipari is 150-8 at Rupp Arena.
· Calipari is 14-4 vs. Ole Miss in his career.
Can't find something?