'He Died In My Arms': Dad Testifies About Slaying Of Versailles - LEX18.com | Continuous News and StormTracker Weather

'He Died In My Arms': Dad Testifies About Slaying Of Versailles Boy, 6

Posted: Updated:

Many of the details in this story are disturbing. 

FAYETTE COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) — The father of a Versailles boy stabbed to death by an intruder in 2015 testified Monday about fighting the man accused of the crime and of 6-year-old Logan Tipton's final moments alive.

"He died in my arms," Dean Tipton told jurors in a Lexington courtroom.

The heart-rending testimony came toward the end of the first day in the trial of Ronald Exantus, who is accused of killing the boy with a butcher knife weeks before Christmas.

The day was marked by high emotion and disturbing details, including a 911 call from Logan's 11-year-old sister and chaotic police body camera footage from the night the Woodford County boy was killed.

Family members entered the courtroom weeping. Sitting just feet from Exantus, Logan's parents sobbed as prosecutors played a 911 recording of Logan's sister Koral reporting the crime and images from body camera footage from Versailles police responding to the scene.

Versailles Police described it as "a scene of chaos and terror."

Prosecutors say Exantus crept into the Tipton's Versailles home Dec. 7, 2015, and stabbed Logan to death and injured his sisters. Assistant prosecutor Keith Eardley opened by saying it took 60 to 90 seconds for the child to die.

Dean Tipton took the stand later in the afternoon, describing a bizarre and violent encounter with Exantus.

He said the man screamed, "Clean your f---ing rooms!"

Tipton said he attacked Exantus, not yet realizing Logan had been mortally injured.

"I told him, 'I'm going to f---ing kill you!" He said Exantus yelled "Don't kill me!"

Shortly after, Tipton realized Logan was hurt and gathered the boy in his arms.

Tipton said Logan was struggling to breathe, and about 10 seconds later, the boy closed his eyes.

"He died in my arms," Tipton said.

Earlier, Logan's now 13-year-old sister Koral took the stand.

Eardley told the jury that the girl awoke that night to find Exantus plunging a butcher knife into her brother's head. Koral told jurors Monday that Exantus had two knives: a butcher knife and butter knife.

Prosecutors played a recording Monday of the girl calling 911 and saying, "We have a robber in my room."

Police body camera footage showed an emotional and chaotic scene. Police rushed to get Logan to the hospital and showed an officer calling Exantus a "piece of shit."

The defense had tried but failed to get a judge to rule Exantus mentally incompetent to stand trial.

On Monday, his defense attorney told jurors Exantus was mentally ill and described a man beset by paranoia and delusions.

"Ron has a mental illness," the defense attorney told jurors. "It made him drive from Indy to Versailles on the way to Florida."

Exantus sat impassively Monday in court during testimony.

Exantus has been under psychiatric evaluation since his arrest. A doctor testified that Exantus heard voices and exhibited odd behaviors before the slaying. Prior to Logan's death, Exantus had contemplated suicide but told the doctor that he had no means to do it.

The defense said Exantus had suffered concussions during years playing football. They said prosecutors want to blame drugs but the issue is mental illness.

Defense attorneys said Exantus, who worked as a dialysis nurse, even yelled out instructions for CPR to police tending to Logan after the attack.

Exantus later ripped out his dreadlocks while in jail, the defense attorney said.

They said Exantus is no longer psychotic since receiving medication after his arrest.

Powered by Frankly

© LEX18.com 2018, LEX18.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?