Lexington Police Arrest Teen For Alleged Threat Against Dunbar H - LEX18.com | Continuous News and StormTracker Weather

Lexington Police Arrest Teen For Alleged Threat Against Dunbar HS

Posted: Updated:

LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — An investigation by several agencies has resulted in the arrest of a teenager in connection with threats directed at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School.

Timothy Felker, 18, is charged with second-degree terroristic threatening, which carries a possible sentence of one to five years in jail. Felker's arrest is the result of nearly two weeks of investigation after an anonymous tip from a classmate to the Safety Tipline Online Prevention (STOP) tip line. 

According to court documents, detectives took a rifle and some 500 rounds of ammunition from Felker's home. 

“This is an example of best practices in action,” Superintendent Manny Caulk said in a statement. “It’s about connections with students and multi-agency collaboration. The speed at which we’re able to share information is a reflection of the systems we have built to link students, school and district administrators with law enforcement officers at the school, city, and federal level.”

Fayette County Schools released a timeline of events leading up to the arrest: Felker was released after posting bail.

Friday, Feb. 16: Administrators at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School learned after school that anonymous reports about Felker had come in through the STOP tip line. The reports said Felker had made a threat toward the school, school officials said. (Felker has not been back to Dunbar since Feb. 16.)

Saturday, Feb. 17: Lexington Police were made aware of the reports. Police learned Felker had flown out of town for the weekend.

Monday, Feb. 19: (Presidents' Day — school not in session): Felker arrived back in Lexington. He was detained at the airport.

Friday, March 2: Felker was booked on a terroristic threatening warrant. He was released on a $5,000 bail.

Monday, March 5: Felker was arraigned before Fayette District Court Judge T. Bruce Bell. He pleaded not guilty. He was placed on home incarceration with an ankle monitor. He is barred from possessing or buying firearms.

“I commend everyone involved, from the students who shared their concerns to the adults who took those reports seriously and the multiple law enforcement agencies that worked swiftly to safeguard our students and staff,” Caulk said.

Both Mayor Jim Gray and Caulk thanked the person who tipped off school leaders.

“Our students want to be able to learn in safe and welcoming environments,” Caulk said. “We need them to continue to share their concerns with caring adults so that we can take immediate steps to respond. We have protocols to ensure that we take all tips seriously.”

Powered by Frankly

© LEX18.com 2018, LEX18.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?