KET’s Young Writers Contest encourages creative expression and literacy development by inviting students in kindergarten through eighth grade to submit original illustrated stories, short stories, and poetry. For 2018, KET received more than 1,200 entries representing nearly 300 schools from 17 states, and several winners hail from Fayette County Public Schools.
“Our KET team was impressed by the talent and creativity reflected in the entries we received – so much so that for the first time, we are naming not only the three top winners in each category but also multiple finalists whose work was also worthy of recognition,” said Tonya Crum, KET’s senior director of education.
A full listing is available at KET.org/writerscontest. Following are the honorees from FCPS.
- Second place: Hudson Smith of Athens-Chilesburg Elementary for “Jack’s Crystals”;
- Finalist: Isa Sumner, Clays Mill Elementary
- Finalist: Allyson Kegebein, Stonewall Elementary
- Finalists: Haasini Beeram and Bhumika Rana, both of Wellington Elementary
- Second place: Savannah Belcher, SCAPA at Bluegrass, “The Sound of Joy”;
- Finalists: Allison Capley, Ashland Elementary; and Sophie Watson, SCAPA at Bluegrass
- Third place: JaZarion Robinson, Leestown Middle School, “Back to Now”;
- Finalists: Zoe Breitigan, Beaumont Middle School; Kelly Keniston, Leestown Middle; and Adrien Osborn Kell, Southern Middle
- Third place: Kathleen Bauer, Leestown Middle, “Distortive Mirror”
- Second place: Alessandra Samuels, Leestown Middle, “Weird Little Sock”;
- Finalist: Margaret Tiennot, SCAPA at Bluegrass
For questions, please contact KET’s Todd Piccirilli at (859) 258-7242.