- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (omit baking soda and powder if using self-rising cornmeal)
- 1 tsp diamond kosher salt, half if using Morton's
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 eggs beaten well
- regular can (8.5 ounces) cream-style corn
- small can chopped green chiles
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (full fat!)
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar, freshly grated
- 3/4 cup pepper jack, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2 jalapeños, seeded + chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a cast iron skillet.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk dry ingredients and set aside.
In a larger bowl, add oil, eggs, buttermilk, corn, onion, peppers, canned chiles & cheese, mix well.
Add dry ingredients in batches and stir until just incorporated. Transfer to greased skillet.
Bake 1 hour or until cake tester inserted comes out clean.
Cool 15 minutes and serve warm from skillet with chili or BBQ.