Pam's Stuffed Mushrooms
Chef Ouita Michel’s mother, Pam Sexton, made these fabulous appetizers for Thanksgiving to keep her hungry family sated until it was time for the holiday feast. Delicious!
- 1 pound medium white button mushrooms
- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs (a plain dried breadcrumb is a shortcut)
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced tarragon or 1 tsp. dry tarragon
- ½ cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons cream
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ stick (¼ cup) cold butter, finely diced
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Wash mushrooms quickly. Remove stems and grate into a bowl.
Combine fresh bread crumbs, Gruyere cheese, tarragon and onion in the bowl with grated mushroom stems. Add 1 tablespoon cream at a time, just enough so that stuffing is moist, not goopy. Season with salt and pepper.
Dip each mushroom cap into olive oil, making sure that a little oil makes it inside the mushroom. Remove and place on a baking tray.
Fill mushrooms with enough filling to create a small dome on top of the cap.
Once mushrooms are stuffed, place a very small square of butter on top and crown with grated parmesan.
Bake 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes. Makes 16-18 appetizers, depending on size.