Kentucky native Jason Smith is back as a judge on Food Network’s “Best Baker in America.” He tells us about the new season and shares his Berry Bread Puddin’ that’s perfect for Mother’s Day.
Berry Bread Puddin’
4-6 large honey buns, cubed
1-box (6 count) donut sticks, cubed
1-quart fresh strawberries, caped and quartered (reserve a few for garnish)
½-cup brown sugar
4-TBSP butter, melted
2-cups whole milk or half & half
2-cups powdered sugar
1 ½-TBSP strawberry bourbon
· Preheat oven to 350°, spray a 9x13 baking dish.
· In a large mixing bowl, place the honey buns, donut sticks and strawberries.
· In a small mixing bowl, place the eggs, sugar, and vanilla, beat until well mixed.
· Add the butter and milk, mix until combined.
· Pour over bread mixture and stir with a spoon until all pieces are wet.
· Place in prepared baking pan and smooth out.
· Place in oven and bake for 35-45 mins, or until there is a slight jiggle in the middle.
· While the pudding is baking, make the glaze by placing the ingredients in a small bowl and whisking; or place in a jar with a lid and shake until mixed.
· When pudding is baked remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 mins, then drizzle with glaze.
· Sprinkle the reserved strawberries over top, serve warm with fresh whipped cream.
Tip: This can also be made with blueberries or blackberries.