The coronavirus pandemic has forced the temporary closure of every Disney theme park across the globe, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of ways to bring Disney fun home while you wait for the parks — and life in general — to reopen.
Resourceful Disney fans have found DIY ways to bring the magic they’ve been missing into their living rooms, like creating at-home versions of their favorite Disney rides, listening to their favorite Disney stars, like Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf from “Frozen,” read stories, and creating copycat recipes of their favorite treats from the parks.
Now, a new website, Disney Magic Moments, is regularly unveiling new activities, entertainment and recipes to keep fans busy at home, and the site just revealed an at-home recipe for all-time favorite Disney treat, churro bites! If you’ve been missing some crispy, cinnamon-sugary goodness in your life, grab the whole family and head to the kitchen to whip these up. The smell alone will have you feeling like you’re strolling down Main Street, U.S.A., in no time.
You only need eight simple ingredients, and chances are you already have them all in your kitchen (unless you’re struggling to find flour): just butter, salt, cinnamon, flour, eggs, vegetable or canola oil, sugar and water. For equipment, you’ll need a saucepan, slotted spoon, piping bag (if you don’t have one of those you can hack it with parchment paper) and a stovetop.
You can find printable step-by-step instructions here, plus check out a how-to video below.
Disney Parks Churro Bites
- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
- Combine water, butter, salt, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon in 1 ½-quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring pot to rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add flour and stir vigorously until mix forms a ball. Remove from heat and let rest for 5-7 min.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium skillet or 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat or until temperature reaches 350 F.
- Spoon dough into piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe 1-inch strip of dough over saucepan, cut with knife and drop into hot oil. Repeat until churro bites fill saucepan with room to fry.
- Fry churro bites until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon or mesh spider strainer.
- Drain churro bites on paper towel.
- Mix sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Toss in churro bites until coated. Place on serving plate and serve with favorite dipping sauce.
Have you been recreating your favorite Disney treats at home?