RICHMOND, Ky. — Eastern Kentucky University will open its 2019 football season at home on Thursday against Valparaiso University.
All fans are encouraged to wear black for the season-opening “Back In Black” game. “Back In Black” t-shirts will be given to students while supplies last. There will be a Campus Kickoff Tailgate sponsored by EKU Campus Life. The tailgate will include FREE slices of Apollo pizza to the first 500 students, and interactive tailgating games and activities.
Kickoff at Roy Kidd Stadium is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Mental health awareness wristbands and information will be available for all fans. Fans will have the luxury of the addition of LIVE 4.8mm hi-resolution sports content on a 12-foot by 7-foot MAX Mobile LED screen in the Apollo Pizza Tailgate Lot.
The game will air live on ESPN+. The live radio broadcast of the game is available in the Richmond area on WCYO 100.7 FM, and can be heard worldwide on EKUSports.com.
The Colonel Walk will begin at 4:45 p.m. and travel through the Apollo Pizza Tailgate Lot in front of Alumni Coliseum.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Eastern Kentucky leads the all-time series 3-1. The Colonels beat Valparaiso, 52-10, in the most recent meeting on Sept. 3, 2015.
- The teams met for the first time on Oct. 27, 1945.
- Three current Colonels played in the game in 2015. Defensive lineman Aaron Patrick had two tackles and his first collegiate sack. Linebacker Leodis Moore III had one tackle and a pass break-up. Linebacker Corey Glass finished the game with one tackle.
- Eastern Kentucky enters the 2019 season with a four-game winning streak, ranked 24th in the HERO Sports Preseason Top 25 and 25th in the Lindy’s Sports Preseason Top 25.
- Patrick is on the 2019 STATS Buck Buchanan Award watch list, the FCS national defensive player of the year award.
- After beating Tennessee Tech to close out the 2018 season, the Colonels are now 10-6 in their last 16 games.
- EKU has 18 starters back (8 offense, 8 defense, 2 special teams) in 2019. Of the 61 players listed on the season-ending depth chart, 47 are back for 2019.
- Three Colonels – running back Daryl McCleskey Jr., Patrick and Moore – were chosen to the Preseason All-OVC Team by league coaches and communications directors.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
- Valparaiso is coming off a 2-9 season in 2018. The Crusaders tied for seventh in the Pioneer League with a 2-6 mark.
- Valpo returns its top two quarterbacks from last season, both of which are redshirt juniors. Chris Duncan played in 10 games, completed 51 percent of his passes for 1,781 yards, threw 14 touchdown passes and had nine interceptions. Jimmy Seewald played in four games, completed 58 percent of his passes for 446 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions.
- The Crusaders also have their top running back – Kyle Cartales (419 yards, 4 TDs) – back from the 2018 season.
- Safety Jamari Booker is the team’s top returning tackler. He finished the 2018 season second on the squad with 91 tackles. He also tied for the team lead with two interceptions.
- Valparaiso returns six starters on offense and five starters on defense.
- Landon Fox is in his first season as head coach at Valpo. He spent the past 11 seasons as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at fellow Pioneer League school Dayton.
GAME DAY EXPERIENCE
Due to the Thursday game, please be aware of the following impacts for this day:
- The entire east section of the Alumni Coliseum Lot will close at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, August 28 and re-open at 3 p.m. on Thursday, August 29.
- The Fitness & Wellness Center employee lot will close at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, August 28.
- A small section of the student commuter lot within the Fitness & Wellness center will also close at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, August 28, and will be marked with barricades/cones.
- Roy and Sue Kidd Way will close to vehicle traffic at 6 p.m. on Thursday (August 29).
It doesn’t matter if you are a Colonel Club member, a student, a Colonel fan or a fan of the opponent, there is plenty of information below that will help make your game day experience the best it can be …
Game Day Timeline
3 p.m. – all tailgate lots open, including the Apollo Pizza Tailgate Lot in front of Alumni Coliseum
3 p.m. – Campus Kickoff Tailgate sponsored by EKU Campus Life. FREE slices of Apollo pizza to the first
500 students, and interactive tailgating games and activities
4:45 p.m. – Colonel Walk
6 p.m. – Cheer, Dance and Band procession to the stadium
The ticket booths at Roy Kidd Stadium will open at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are always available online at EKUSports.com.
EKU Football Parking Information
Whether you are a proud member of the EKU athletics family or a fan of the opposition, we strive to provide you an enjoyable experience during your visit to Eastern Kentucky University. The following parking and tailgating regulations below are intended to ensure your safety and comfort. Please keep sidewalks and driveways clear of obstructions, respect our campus grounds and please follow the directives of our parking attendants and game day staff.
EKU Football Parking Lot Locations
• There are numerous and convenient parking options for all fans on game day at Roy Kidd Stadium.
• Colonel Club Lot (Lot K) – Located in the Alumni Coliseum Lower and Upper lots across the street from Roy Kidd Stadium, Colonel Club season ticket members have exclusive access to both of these lots with their valid Colonel Club parking pass.
Parking is on a first come, first serve basis. Additional parking spaces cannot be saved. Parking passes must be displayed in vehicles at all times. Colonel Club members who wish to tailgate in the Lower AC lot are restricted to the area around their vehicle. Do not block driveways or impede traffic. Colonel Club members who wish to tailgate and require more space than allowed in the Lower AC lot are encouraged to access the Upper AC lot. For the Thursday night season-opener, the upper and lower AC lots will open at 3 p.m. on game day (August 29).
• Apollo Pizza Tailgate Lot – EKU student and Greek life parking will be located at the Lower AC parking lot. The Apollo Pizza Tailgate Lot will open at 3 p.m. on game day (August 29).
• RV Zone – EKU is proud to continue offering the RV Zone, designed to provide football fans a unique and unforgettable tailgating experience. Located next to the Fitness and Wellness Center lot and just a few steps away from the Roy Kidd Stadium entrance, the RV Zone is available for both single game and full season passes. Single game passes start at $75 per game, which include two (2) general admission tickets for the game. Full season passes are available for $225 and includes two (2) general admission tickets for each home game. The EKU RV Zone will open at 6 p.m. the Friday before game day and will close at 3:00 p.m. the Sunday following game day. Reservations for the RV Zone are required at least three (3) days in advance and your pass may be reserved by calling (859) 622-7128. For Thursday night games, RVs can arrive on Wednesday at 6 p.m.
• General Parking – EKU provides general parking free of charge for the following parking lots located on campus: Brockton, Hanlon, Dizney, Commonwealth, Alumni Coliseum back lots or in parking lots across the EKU bypass. All general parking lots will open on game day at 3 p.m.
• Media Parking – Credentialed media members should park at the Greg Adams Tennis Center parking lot located across the EKU bypass.
EKU Football Parking Regulations
• Parking is permitted only in designated spaces. Parking on islands, medians or berms is prohibited.
• Parking spaces are available on a first come, first serve basis and cannot be saved.
• Tailgating is only allowed in areas where the flow of traffic is not obstructed.
• No sale of food, beverages or novelties are permissible without proper permit.
• No open flames other than gas grills.
• Waste food items and trash must be disposed of in appropriate containers, which are provided throughout the grounds.
• No personal motorized carts are allowed.
• Only small weighted (12’x12’ maximum) tents may be used, no staking is allowed.
• Music should be confined to your tailgate area.
• Protect your belongings, EKU will not assume responsibility for lost or stolen items.
Attend The Game – While we encourage the fun and comradery that tailgating produces, please be cognizant that a football game is being played at Roy Kidd Stadium. Our student-athletes need you in the stands! Please show respect for our EKU student-athletes by attending the game.
For additional information or questions, please call (859) 622-2122.
Student seating is located in sections J, K, L. Students may also sit on the hill in the north end zone. Students can enter the stadium through Gate 1 or Gate 6. Students need their official school ID out and ready to be allowed admittance to the game.
Alcohol sales (beer and wine) are located on the east side of Roy Kidd Stadium and on the northern end of the main concourse inside the Begley Building:
• Sales begin at 6 p.m.
• Sales continue through the third quarter. No sales in the fourth quarter or overtime.
• Fans will be limited to two (2) beverages per transaction.
• Purchase can be made by fans 21 years and older only.
• Must be consumed in clear plastic cup.
• Cash and credit cards accepted.
• Sections G & H will remain alcohol free zones.
ADA Accessible Ticket Information
• The ADA accessible seating area at Roy Kidd Stadium in Section J, N, and R of the east side of the stadium.
• Patrons must purchase a general admission ticket to watch the game from this area.
• Patrons are welcome to have a companion sit with them in the area. Folding chairs are provided for any guests that need them.
• The ADA accessible restrooms are located on the concourse of the east side of the stadium. The Moberly building also provides accessible restrooms.
• ADA accessible parking is available in the Moberly Lot past the Stadium off Roy and Sue Kidd Way on the right from the Bypass.
• The main accessible gate (Moberly Gate) is between the Moberly building and the Fitness & Wellness Center.