LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — City officials want to remind Lexington residents that there are certain restrictions in place regarding fireworks.
Namely, if it goes up or blows up...it's illegal in Lexington. That includes bottle rockets and firecrackers.
The only fireworks allowed to be sold or used in Fayette County are ground and hand-held sparkling devices, such as sparklers, ground spinners and fountains.
The city would also like to remind you of the following safety tips:
- Only buy fireworks from a licensed store or stand.
- Follow directions on firework packaging. DO NOT combine different types or light multiple fireworks at a time.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks.
- Only use fireworks outdoors and away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never re-ignite malfunctioning fireworks.
- Do not throw sparklers or fireworks at people. Stand at least six feet from other people using sparklers.
- Spectators should keep a safe distance from individuals lighting fireworks.
- Do not carry fireworks in pockets.
- Do not drink alcohol and handle fireworks.
- For emergencies, always call 9-1-1.