LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — A fire in a vacant apartment Saturday night caused a scare for neighbors in an Oxford Circle apartment building near Versailles Road.
Firefighters were called out around 9:40 p.m.
Responding crews found the second floor heavily charred.
Authorities believe the fire burned briefly but choked itself out.
That was enough to cause concern to those who live nearby.
“There was kind of a frantic evacuation underway when we pulled up,” said Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Brad Whittaker. “Some of the neighboring apartments were kind of concerned about their belongings.”
Officials tell LEX 18 that the fire was quickly contained and did not damage neighboring apartments.
Residents were allowed to return to their homes after a short time.