FRANKFORT, Ky. (LEX 18) — Insisting "many, many people lost their jobs" because they stayed home with children while schools were closed for teacher protests, Gov. Matt Bevin returned Tuesday to comments he made last week that touched off a weekend firestorm that made headlines nationwide.
Bevin was speaking Tuesday afternoon at an event to announce new appointments made to the Kentucky Board of Education.
But after his prepared remarks, the governor was asked about the firestorm caused by comment he made last Friday. Bevin was recorded by WDBR here criticizing teachers protesting budget and pension changes in Frankfort.
In the video, Bevin says he "guaranteed" that children left alone that day had been sexually assaulted and "ingested poison." He later sought to walk back those comments, releasing a nearly four-minute video in which he apologized for hurting anyone while insisting he had been misunderstood.
Bevin reiterated those ideas Tuesday but went further.
"When children are left home alone it’s not healthy. That’s what I was speaking to," Bevin said. "Did I clarify that well? No, I did not. And were a lot of people hurt by that? Yes, they were."
He then said the school closings had caused people to lose their jobs.
"Many, many people lost their jobs because they said I’m going to stay home with my child while the schools are closed," Bevin said.
He did not provide names or details.