LEXINGTON, Ky (LEX 18) A foundation created to honor murdered teenager Trinity Gay is asking for your help in their fundraising effort.
The Trinity Gay Foundation was formed soon after 15-year-old Trinity Gay was struck by a stray bullet outside the Cookout restaurant in Lexington.
"We have 23 bags filled right now, 26 for our goal for the month of April, and 167 for the overall sneaker drive," said Kinya Embry with the Trinity Gay Foundation.
The 167 bags would equal around 2,505 pairs of lightly used sneakers. They are looking to collect all the sneakers by June 1.
"It was one of those things we felt would give us a really good jump start to the foundation, but was tied to something she loved to do, which was run," said Embry.
The sneakers are going to developing countries where they’ll be sold at a discounted price. Embry said that money will be flipped back into the foundation, which will fund as many as six scholarships for local high school seniors.
“She was such a great person, and loved to give back and do community service as well," said Embry.
You can drop off sneakers at any of these locations:
* LA Fitness 1028 Wellington Way Lexington, KY 40513
* CSGA 2620 Wilhite Dr, Lexington, KY 40503
* John’s Run/Walk Shops 317 S Ashland Ave, Lexington, KY 40502 – or 3735 Palomar Centre Dr Suite 140 Lexington, KY 40513
* Frederick Douglass High School 2000 Winchester Rd, Lexington, KY 40509
* Lafayette High School 401 Reed Ln, Lexington, KY 40503 (All-Comers track meet, May 3rd)
The foundation will also be hosting an all-comers track meet at Lafayette High School on May 3 where you can drop off your lightly used sneakers.