LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) – A toy plastic gun caused a scare at a Lexington school.
According to school officials, a student was found with the toy gun and was disciplined. The principal of the school sent a letter home to parents. He encouraged families to keep an eye on what students put in their backpacks.
You may read the letter in full below:
Dear Lexington Traditional Magnet School Families:
One of my top priorities as principal at LTMS is to make sure we have open lines of communication between home and school. Just as we hope you will let us know about situations at home that affect your children, we want you to trust that we will inform you anytime something unusual happens at school.
I’m writing today to make you aware that acting on a tip we determined one of our students had a plastic toy gun at school today. The Fayette County Public Schools Department of Law Enforcement and our administrative team worked together to investigate the situation, and I assure you that appropriate disciplinary action has been taken. A plastic toy gun is considered a dangerous instrument in our student code of conduct.
We’re proud of those individuals who did the right thing by alerting adults to the situation. At LTMS, we work hard to build trusting relationships with all of our students, and this is an example of the strength of those relationships.
This situation provides the perfect opportunity for us to reinforce with our children that even toy guns are not allowed at school. Please help as at home by talking with your children about the importance of not bringing any item that would be considered dangerous to school with them, and by monitoring the things they put in their backpacks.
Any time something out of the ordinary happens at school, we want to be sure our families have accurate information directly from us. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me at 381-3192. Thank you for the privilege of working with your children and for understanding that we are committed to keeping LTMS a great place to learn and work.
Larry Caudill, Principal