LOS ANGELES (NBC News) — A sex crime allegation involving Sylvester Stallone dating back to the 1990s is being reviewed by the Los Angeles County prosecutors’ sex crimes task force, authorities said Wednesday.
They gave no details about the case, which was forwarded by Santa Monica police, and would not comment on whether it would be disqualified for filing because the statute of limitations has since passed. They also provided no timetable for the review.
Stallone through his lawyer has publicly denied previous media reports about the allegation.
Martin Singer, an attorney for the 71-year-old actor, first confirmed in December that a woman had "filed a police report alleging a rape that occurred 27 years ago."
"My client categorically disputes the claim," Singer said in a statement at the time.
Santa Monica police said in December that they were investigating a complaint against Stallone that was made in November 2017 of alleged sexual misconduct in the 1990s.
The actor’s case is one of 15 pending under Los Angeles County’s group of veteran sex crimes prosecutors formed last fall in the wake of sexual assault allegations against former movie mogul Harvey Weinstein.
Weinstein, who has denied the allegations against him, turned himself in to police in New York last month and pleaded not guiltylast week to rape and criminal sex act charges. He is free on $1 million bail, but must wear an ankle bracelet.