BONNIEVILLE, Ky. (LEX 18)– Two people are in custody after a vehicle pursuit turned into an officer-involved shooting.
Around 1:26 a.m. Tuesday, Kentucky State Police Post 3 received a call from KSP Post 4, Elizabethtown requesting assistance with an active vehicle pursuit in LaRue County.
KSP observed a passenger car speeding in Hardin County. As troopers attempted a traffic stop, the operator attempted to flee.
The pursuit, having originated in Hardin County, continued into northern Hart County before ending on Pine Ridge Road in the Bonnieville community.
According to a release from KSP, nearing the conclusion of the pursuit, the vehicle turned and began to travel in the direction of an involved trooper, and KSP Sergeant Michael Garyantes fired multiple shots from his service weapon, striking the vehicle and ending the pursuit.
The vehicle’s operator, 24-year-old Terry Lee Sheets, of Greenville, IN, was treated at the scene for minor injuries and arrested.
There were no injuries to involved law enforcement personnel.
Sheets is charged with the following offenses:
- Fleeing or Evading Police, 1st Degree (Motor Vehicle)
- Attempted Murder- Police Officer
- Wanton Endangerment, 1st Degree (2 counts)
- Wanton Endangerment, 1st Degree- Police Officer (2 counts)
- Criminal Mischief 2nd Degree
- Fleeing or Evading Police, 2nd Degree (Motor Vehicle)
- Operating Motor Vehicle Under the Influence Alc/Drugs .08 (Aggravator), 2nd Offense, as well as other multiple misdemeanor traffic violations
The passenger, 25-year-old Rikki Parker, of New Albany, IN, was not injured and was arrested for an outstanding warrant out of Indiana.
Sheets was lodged in the Hart County Jail and Parker was lodged in the Hardin County Detention Center.