AUSTIN, Texas (KXAN ) – A man who police say is the suspect in an Austin homicide and shooting spree is a Lexington native.
Charles Curry is charged with killing someone at a South Austin apartment complex and going on a shooting spree on Interstate 35, according to KXAN.
Police say one of the victims called just after 2 p.m. Wednesday on the northbound service road of Interstate 35. The man told officers someone fired a gun at his vehicle. He was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
According to friends of Curry, he is from Lexington and attended Henry Clay High School.
Sources tell KXAN Curry showed up at the Texas State Capitol before the 2017 legislative session looking for work. He was hired as a Senate Sergeant at Arms. Sources say he moved here from Kentucky.
Here is a complete list of his alleged crimes according to KXAN:
Monday, July 9: Christian Meroney was found dead in a hallway at the Post South Lamar apartments at 1:43 p.m. Police say he was shot to death.
Wednesday, July 11:
- 2:06 p.m. at 8100 I-35 S. northbound frontage road, south of William Cannon Road | A 33-year-old Hispanic woman driving with her three children in the car was shot in the head. She was taken to the hospital with superficial injuries.
- 2:32 p.m. at 1500 S. Lamar Blvd. | Shots fired called, no one was injured
- 2:35 p.m. in the 4000 block of South Lamar Boulevard | A 25-year-old white woman was driving when a bullet entered her vehicle and hit her in the head. The glass also hit her face. She was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
- 2:40 p.m. in the 5300 block Ponciana Drive | Austin police get a 911 call reporting shots were fired sometime between 2:06 and 2:32 p.m. No injuries were reported.
- 5 p.m. at 6300 Bob Wentz Park Rd. | Travis County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call for a man firing shots in the area. No injuries were reported.
- 6 p.m. at 1500 South Lamar Blvd. | Curry was arrested by the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force.