Ocean County, N.J. (WLWT) – A New Jersey family is thankful for their pet pit bull’s heroic act.
WLWT reports when a fire broke out at Jeremy Brown’s home early Monday, Zeus alerted the family to the flames before any smoke detectors could.
“If I didn’t open my door, you can see the black smoke that rushed right into my fire alarm. It even melted it,” Brown told KYW-TV in Philadelphia. “It would have not gone off. The door is pretty sealed. So thankful to have him wake me up when he did because it really would have been worse.”
Everyone was asleep when the fire started, including Brown’s parents and girlfriend.
The fire was confined to a single room, likely because of the canine’s swift action, officials from the Beachwood Volunteer Fire Department said.
"Thanks to Zeus, everyone got out of the house in the early stages of the fire and no one was injured," the department wrote in a Facebook post. "Nice Job to Zeus our Honorary Firefighter!"