Hepatitis A Vaccine Extension For Jessamine Co.

Posted at 3:28 PM, Aug 16, 2018
and last updated 2018-08-16 15:28:08-04

JESSAMINE COUNTY, Ky (LEX 18) Students across the state need to get the Hepatitis A vaccine before they go back to school this year. 

In Jessamine County, parents are running into trouble getting that done because of a vaccine shortage.

"We’re asking that they have at least one dose in order to go ahead and attend, and then they’ll have their follow up appointments in six months," said the district school nurse Pat Glass.

The district said that 60% of its 8,000 students are in the clear, but the other 40% is running into problems finding the vaccine. 

That is because students across the state are scrambling to get it and doctors are running out. 

"They were running into shortages and they were having trouble accommodating just over 8,000 students in our county alone," said Glass.

So the district is allowing an extension, as long as the student has an appointment set up before the end of the month, they can still go to school. They will need a doctor’s note confirming the appointment. 

"We do have on-site school clinics in four of our schools so they will start next week on the 20th – so for those parents, we will have them worked into our in school clinics," said Glass.