GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS, Tenn. (WBIR) – A man found dead in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park was not killed by a bear, but by an accidental meth overdose according to WBIR.
William Lee Hill, Jr, 30, was found dead off-trail in the park on Sept. 9, 2018. A bear had been feeding on Hill’s body and was still nearby.
The bear was eventually euthanized.
According to an autopsy, Hill died from an overdose of methamphetamines and not a bear attack.
Hill had been searching for ginseng in the park with a friend, and the two became separated.