FAYETTE COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) — Fayette County Public Schools has released their guidelines for fall sporting events, which include limiting spectators and enhanced safety requirements for those attending games.
FCPS says they are bound to the rules and requirements outlined by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA), the governing agency designated by the Kentucky Department of Education to manage high school athletics in the Commonwealth. Each school district can enforce its own protocols for certain aspects of athletic events.
The school district has developed the following guidelines that are approved by the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department and are in compliance with all KHSAA requirements:
- Limited admittance for 4-5 previously identified members of each athlete's immediate family.
- Provisions allowing cheerleaders and bands to participate; cheer and band families will follow the same limited admission as athletes' families.
- Temperature and health screening requirements for all persons entering the competition venue.
- Assigned seating for family units at least 6 feet apart from other families.
- Mask requirements for all spectators during the entire competition. The only exception will be for those with a medical exemption documented by a medical doctor on the official letterhead from the office issuing the exemption. Those who refuse to wear a mask for any other reason will not be allowed entry or will be asked to leave the event.
- School discretion about whether to offer limited concession stand sales.
- Entrance and exit expectations and prohibition of congregating in groups before, during, or after events.
FCPS says all decisions made are in accordance with guidance and best practices outlined by federal, state, and local officials. They include the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Kentucky Governor's Office, Kentucky Department for Public Health, Kentucky Department of Education, and the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department.
The district is in the process of finalizing its "Fayette County Public Schools Return to Competition Guidelines," which include detailed information for students, staff, and families. Each athletic director or coach will be responsible for reviewing these expectations with their teams and families. Other documents outlining safety requirements include the district's "Return to Play Guidelines" and the "KHSAA Healthy at Sports: Stage 3 Performance Return To Competition: Considerations For Fall Sports" documents.
"We thank everyone in advance for their cooperation with all expectations," said Lisa Deffendall, Fayette County Public Schools spokeswoman. "These safety measures, which were developed by a team of district administrators, school principals, and athletic directors, give our student athletes the best possible opportunity to enjoy a full season of games."