NewsCoronavirus

Actions

Gov. Beshear says he plans to allow indoor dining after Dec. 13

Posted at 12:06 AM, Dec 08, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-08 00:06:58-05

FRANKFORT, Ky. (LEX 18) — Gov. Andy Beshear says he plans to allow restaurants to serve customers indoors after this weekend, but some restaurant workers continue to feel uncertain about the future.

Monday's COVID-19 case report was lower than the two previous Mondays. Gov. Beshear said it's an indication his restrictions on bars, restaurants, gyms and schools are beginning to work to slow the spread of the virus.

The most recent set of restrictions on indoor service for bars and restaurants began on November 20. At the time, the governor said they would run through at least Dec. 13. On Monday, he said he still plans to lift the restrictions by that date, which would allow restaurants to return to 50 percent capacity.

Over the past few weeks, many restaurants have adapted to expand outdoor dining areas considering the restrictions.

In Frankfort, a new roof has been built over the patio at Bourbon on Main and heaters will be installed later this week, said Jamie Piercy, general manager.

"That way no matter rain, shine, snow, anyone can sit out there and enjoy the weather," she said.

The ban on indoor dining has been difficult on staff, she said.

The restaurant now has about three employees work each shift, instead of the normal five to eight employees, Piercy said.

She was hopeful to hear the governor's plan to allow indoor dining once again.

"That would mean that more people got to get put back on the schedule which is amazing," she said.

Still, she's concerned the holiday season could mean another spike in COVID-19 cases, and more changes for the restaurant industry.

"Personally, it's hard but everyone's got to stay positive," she said. "No matter what industry you're in, it could change."

But she's grateful for the support the restaurant has received from the community so far, and confident it will continue.