(LEX 18) — Ingredients:
· 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
· 1 pound ground turkey breast (99% fat free)
· 1 yellow bell pepper
· 1 cup onion, diced
· ½ cup low fat mozzarella, shredded
· ½ cup of water
· ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
· 2 tablespoon olive oil
· 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
· 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
· 1 teaspoon chili powder
· ½ teaspoon salt
· ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potato and water.
- Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften.
- Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt.
- Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.