NewsCovering Kentucky


Students Return In Anderson Co. Amid Extra Security After Alleged Threat

Posted at 3:12 PM, Oct 22, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-22 17:17:56-04

ANDERSON COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) — School leaders in Anderson County took extra steps to make sure their students were safe as class was back in session Monday, and leaders in Frankfort praised law enforcement’s response to the alleged threat.

Last Thursday, Kentucky State Police arrested Dylan Jarrell. Troopers say he lived around the corner from the school, was heavily armed and had detailed plans to carry out a school shooting.

Officials said they were tipped off by a call from out of state.

“I thank God that the New Jersey woman called in,” said Lisa Vannatta, who has grandchildren at the school. “I mean, she saved a lot of lives.”

In Frankfort, the General Assembly’s School Safety Working Group said law enforcement’s response saved the day.

“I would like to thank KSP, the Anderson County Sheriff’s department and everyone else involved in Thursday’s arrests,” group co-chairman Rep. John Carney said in a statement. “We have great law enforcement in the commonwealth and this is just one example of their great work. We must all partner with them to do everything in our power to help keep our schools and communities a safe place to live, work and raise a family.”

Although he was in custody, Anderson County Schools cancelled classes on Friday as a safety precaution.

KSP, Lawrenceburg Police, and Anderson County Sheriff’s deputies were on hand at every school in the district Monday.

At Anderson County High School, one trooper was there for more than security. He also was there to be recognized by the students and staff.

Josh Satterly is the trooper who initially responded to the school threat complaint.

Superintendent Shelia Mitchell said that they wanted to make sure the trooper knew how grateful they were for stopping what could have been a terrible tragedy.

Jennifer Galusha, a parent of an Anderson County student, told LEX 18 that she is using this as a teaching opportunity for her daughter.

“If someone’s saying they’re going to threaten, if they say they’re going to take out a gun or something, I tell her, it’s not a joke. You tell somebody immediately,” said Galusha.

Police said that upon searching his residence, they discovered a firearm, over 200 rounds of ammunition, a Kevlar vest, a 100-round high capacity magazine, and a detailed plan of attack. He faces charges of harassing communications and second-degree terroristic threatening.

While students returned to school Monday, Jarrell was in court. He pleaded not guilty to the charges. A judge ruled that his bail will remain at $50,000, but due to the seriousness of his charges, he will be kept in jail.

Jarrell requested a public defender. His next court date is scheduled for Nov. 1 at 10:30 a.m.