LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) – Do you have strands of lights that stopped working? Are they in tangles?
‘Tis the season to recycle right. As you get out your holiday decorations, chances are that you will find lights that have seen brighter days.
Lexington’s Department of Environmental Quality and Public Works is helping you check recycling those lights off your holiday to-do list through the “Holiday Lights, Recycle Right” collection drive, making holiday recycling a little simpler.
Residents may drop off broken or unwanted holiday lights, including string lights, rope lights and electric candles at various collection sites. Extension cords, timers, light sensors and power strips will also be accepted.
Never put lights, or any electronics, in your blue recycling cart. Holiday lights lead to equipment problems and delays at the Recycling Center.
Collection bins will be at the following locations through Saturday, January 26, 2019:
- Broomwagon Coffee + Bikes (800 North Limestone)
- Chevy Chase Hardware (883 East High Street)
- Crank & Boom – Distillery District (1210 Manchester Street)
- Crank & Boom – The Summit at Fritz Farm (119 Marion Street)
- Gainesway Community Center (3460 Campus Way)
- Good Foods Co-Op (455-D Southland Drive)
- Government Center (200 East Main Street)
- Kenwick Community Center (313 Owsley Avenue)
- Pivot Brewing (1400 Delaware Avenue)
- Third Street Stuff (257 North Limestone)
- West Sixth Brewing (501 West Sixth Street)
Businesses who are interested in serving as a collection site should email LiveGreen@LexingtonKY.gov.
Lights can also be taken directly to the Electronics Recycling Center, located at 1306 Versailles Road. Visit LexingtonKY.gov/ECycle for hours of operation.
Collection sites are still being added. For an up-to-date list, visit LexingtonKY.gov/LiveGreen or follow @LiveGreenLex on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
* * *