LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18)– Monday is the official holiday honoring the life of Martin Luther King Jr.
The federal law creating the holiday in King’s honor was passed in 1983, after years of organizing by supporters.
There’s a full day of events planned throughout the cit of Lexington:
- Breakfast at the Bluegrass Ballroom in the Lexington Center at 7 a.m.
- The Freedom March downtown at 10 a.m.
- A commemorative program at 11 a.m. in Heritage Hall
- A community celebration at the Carnegie Center at 12:30 a.m.
- A showing of the film “Loving” at the Kentucky Theater at 2:30 p.m.
- A showing of “The Mountaintop” at the Lyric Theater and Cultural Arts Center (doors open at 5 p.m., show starts at 6 p.m.)
If you’re not attending one of these events, the national Martin Luther King center encourages you to volunteer somewhere in your community to help make it a better place.