LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18)– Several chickens are dead following a fire Thursday morning.
It happened around 7 a.m. at a home on East Main Street.
Officials say they got a call about the fire from someone driving by who could see the flames from the road.
Firefighters say when they arrived on scene, the flames were about eight feet tall at the back of the home.
The owners told fire crews that when it’s below 20 degrees they have to put a heater in the chicken coop. Firefighters say the lamp must have fallen over and caught the hay or other materials on fire.
Three chickens made it out alive, but several others perished.
The road was closed for a short time while crews put out the flames.
#LEX18TrafficTracker: Inbound East Main Street between Old Lafayette Avenue and Old Park Avenue is shutdown due to a fire.
— LEX 18 News (@LEX18News) January 31, 2019
A Lexington resident’s chicken coop caught on fire this morning. Only 3 chickens made it out alive. Because it was below 20 degrees, the owner had a heat lamp in the coop to keep the chickens warm. Firefighters say the flames were 8+ ft tall. An investigation‘s ongoing @LEX18News pic.twitter.com/s0KvQgB0Ua
— Claire Kopsky (@ClaireMKopsky) January 31, 2019