FRANKFORT, Ky. (LEX 18) – A Lexington man is in jail after being accused of human trafficking.
An investigation was started after a complaint. Andre T. Hilliard, 37, was initially arrested on misdemeanor charges March 7 and was lodged at the Fayette County Detention Center.
The victim in the case was referred to services and more arrests are expected in the ongoing investigation.
Attorney General Andy Beshear released a list of signs of human trafficking that the general public should learn to recognize.
Signs of a Victim of Human Trafficking
There is no one single indicator of human trafficking, but a combination of these signs are common in victims:
- Travel together and have identical tattoos, branding.
- Unable to identify what town or state they are in or where they are staying.
- Lack official identification documents and personal possessions.
- Appear malnourished and have physical injuries.
- Avoid eye contact and adhere to limited, scripted or rehearsed responses in social interaction.
- Loss of sense of time.
- Possess multiple pre-paid credit cards.
Reporting Human Trafficking
- If a human trafficking victim is in immediate danger dial 911.
- To report suspected human trafficking of a child, call 877-KYSAFE1.
- Victims of human trafficking may also call or text the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 888-373-7888. Interpreters are available.