NewsCovering Kentucky


Grease Fire Destroys Manchester McDonald’s

Posted at 1:44 PM, Apr 08, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-08 18:06:34-04

MANCHESTER, Ky. (LEX 18)- Multiple fire departments were called to put out a fire at a Manchester restaurant.

According to the Laurel County Fire Department, units were dispatched to help Manchester Fire with a fire at a McDonald’s on Muddy Gap Road. The flames broke out just before 5 a.m. and mutual aid was requested from surrounding fire departments.

Units from London Fire, Clay County Fire, and Bush Fire were also on scene for over three hours.

The restaurant was destroyed.  Police officers made entry into the structure with a key and attempted to extinguish the grease fire with extinguishers but due to the extinguishment system installed in the restaurant failing to activate the officers efforts to extinguish the fire was unsuccessful.

A spokesperson released this statement on behalf of the restaurant owner Gist Heinrich:

“We are thankful that our restaurant was closed at the time of the fire, and no customers were in the restaurant. Our employees who discovered the fire safely exited the restaurant and were not injured. They did everything they could to attempt to extinguish the fire and activated the fire suppression system. We would like to thank our employees for their quick action to ensure the safety of each other, and the firefighters who worked hard to control the situation. The location will be closed for the next several weeks. Our employees will be relocated to our other restaurants. We encourage our patrons to visit our other locations nearby.”

The Manchester Enterprise reports that 40 people worked there.